"And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." 2 Nephi 5:27

"And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." 2 Nephi 5:27

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Are You My Mother?

A girl in my Primary class told me the most amazing story today.
She was on an overnight camping trip with her school. She was sharing a tent with a few other girls, some of the LDS faith and some who were not. She got very homesick and missed her family. Especially because at nighttime they have family prayer, and tonight she would miss it. She asked some of the girls if they would say a prayer with her-like a family prayer. She knew that it would help her feel better.
I was so touched by her story and her faithfulness.
Another girl in the class said, "Weren't you afraid of what the other girls who weren't praying with you thought?" She said, "No. I don't care what they think."

What kinds of things do mothers do? Most days, my day looks something like this: Start the day off with a bath for Creighton and laundry because Creighton has once again managed to wet through the greatest leak protection diapers I can find. Sweeping Cheerios, wet and mashed ones, from the kitchen floor. Creighton manages to eat 1 for every 4 that end up on the floor. Discovering a crusted throw-up spot on the carpet with my bare feet and scrubbing it clean. Woolite carpet cleaner works great. Begging Creighton to take a much needed nap-screaming and crying usually involved, mostly by him though. Cleaning baby food out of my hair (and changing clothes at least once). Creighton has learned if he pushes his lips together and blows then it makes funny noises and food/formula/saliva goes everywhere.
Those things I don't especially look forward to each day.


However, I do look forward to: dancing super silly and singing for Creighton because his whole face lights up and he can't get enough of it. Giving him a bath so I can watch him giggle and enjoy splashing water in his face. Chasing him through the house so I can watch him get stronger and faster as he crawls after me. Then listening to his delighted scream when he catches me! Cuddling him to sleep at the end of the night-wore out from an exhaustive day of playing. In a Dr. Seuss book, Are You My Mother? A little bird wanders from different animals to machinery asking, "Are you my mother?" I LOVE that Creighton KNOWS I am his mother.

There are some things about being a mother that I am sure I could do without. But I do them because I love Creighton. I also do them because there are many more rewarding times than there are hard times. The girl in my Primary class today reminded me I am a mother so I can teach my children to have courage to do what is right in any situation and to teach them to understand the principles of the gospel. I am a mother so I can teach them they are children of a Heavenly Father who loves them and that they have a great mission to fulfill. I feel so strongly that Creighton is a very special little boy and I feel honored to be given the role as his mother.

2 comments:

  1. Katie Jo that is the sweetest story ever!! I love that bond mother's get to feel all the way at the start with moving in the womb to their boogery faces all over yours! Our babies are getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. I completely agree with everything you said, and I love the story of the girl. What a good example to us!!

    ReplyDelete