"And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." 2 Nephi 5:27

"And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." 2 Nephi 5:27

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Lord's Errand

It all started with this letter...
Grandma and Papa Chambers were called as Mission Presidents to the Salt Lake City South Mission! 
We opened this letter in February but the process began in October of last year! And now the time is finally here for them to be on their way for a whole 3 years!!
Today Cason and I and his siblings and their spouses (minus a sister living in Kansas) joined mom and dad in Salt Lake City as they received counsel and were set apart as mission president and full-time missionaries of the Salt Lake City South Mission by Elder David A. Bednar and Elder Shane Bowen.
It was such a neat and special experience. We are so grateful we were able to be there with them. It is something we will never forget and we have already taken notes for ourselves and for mom and dad to help us remember the experience. I have learned, as good as I think my memory is, I quickly forget the stuff that is most important!
But of course... we couldn't say goodbye without a party! So I threw them a bee-themed party since they are headed to the beehive state!
I searched online to come up with a centerpiece to make for the tables, but I came up with an idea on my own I was so happy with! Just paper bees buzzing around on the tables! 
 Of course the party was decorated with black, yellow and white. (And Macey Jo's other grandma and grandpa bought her a special bee outfit that matched the party decor!) 
And for treats: lemon bars, brownies, beehive sugar cookies and chocolate sandwich cookies. Also, a cereal trail mix made from different honey-nut cereals. I have had a lot of requests for recipes. Here they are!

Lemon Bars
   Crust:
1 c. softened butter
1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 c. flour
   Mix ingredients and press into 9x13 pan. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees or until lightly browned.
   Filling:
4 eggs
2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. lemon juice
   Mix and pour over slightly cooled crust. Bake at 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
   After baking, dust lemon bars with powdered sugar.
   *I made sheet pans of these and doubled the recipe but kept the baking times and degrees the same.
   **The recipe really is awesome if you love lemon bars. This recipe is from a good friend of my mom's, Kris Berrett, and we have used it as long as I can remember!

Honey Nut Cereal Mix
4 c. Honey Nut Cheerios cereal
3 c. Honey Bunches of Oats cereal
3 c. Honey Nut Chex cereal
2 c. Honey Comb cereal
1 c. chopped dry roasted almonds
   Mix all cereal and nuts together.
1/2 c. butter
10 c. marshmallows
   Melt butter and marshmallows together and mix with the cereal mixture. Spread onto wax paper and allow to cool. May roll into balls (like popcorn balls).
   *You may make more marshmallow mixture depending on how gooey you like yours, or scale down the cereal mixture depending on how much you need. Clearly, this makes a lot.
   **I was surprised what a hit this was! So many people really enjoyed this honey nut treat I created for our honey-bee party!

We really had a great time planning a party for our grandma, papa and uncle Sam! So many people came to say good-bye and wish them well. They are very loved! But especially by Creighton and Macey Jo!
We will miss not seeing grandma, papa and uncle Sam as often. But they are still so close and we will get to see them regularly. 
We are so proud of them. They will do so well. Mom and Dad Chambers will do so well teaching the missionaries they are responsible over. They are great at teaching with love. And Sam has been such a trooper through it all. In fact, after much prayer he decided to have us keep his dog for him for 3 years.
The kids love Miss Kannolli so much! She will be well loved by our family!
Bye Bye grandma, papa, and uncle Sam. WE LOVE YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. Katie Jo- you are pretty much the coolest person I know! What a fun party you threw for your in-laws. I bet they loved it! And what a darling theme. I love seeing all the creative things you put together. You are so well rounded and just plain awesome! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete