This last Sunday I watched the First Presidency Christmas Devotional. President Uchtdorf spoke about it being impossible to ruin Christmas becuase Christmas is about Christ. I loved it. I often think back to when I was little and all of the fun traditions my family had around holidays. Especially Christmas. I want to do all of those things with my own family now because I loved doing them so much as a little girl.
I told Cason, "For Christmas we need to make Chocolate Crackle cookies and Peanut Butter Kiss cookies!" He said, "Why?" I said, "Because that's what we do! It's the only time of the year to make these cookies!" Again, he said, "Why?" He made me realize my request for particular cookies on Christmas was a bit silly. And Christmas will still be Christmas without "Christmas" cookies.
This Christmas I have felt, more than other years before, the real meaning of Christmas. It started a few weeks ago. There is a man who stands on two street corners here in town, one very close to my house, and the other right next to my work, and he makes balloon animals for money. I have driven by him many times, at least once a day, and I always a feel a little bit sad that he has to stand outside in the cold and make balloon animals for very little money. Well, one night he was out there about 8:00 at night and the temperature was in the teens and it just broke my heart. I went home and felt so selfish. I have so much "stuff" and still want more. A few days later there was an article in the paper about him, and others in similar situations. That day there was also a food/clothing drive in town for a shelter. So many times I have driven by that man and wondered, "Should I give him money? How can I help him?" So Cason and I gathered together a number of coats that we had and are not wearing, and took them to the drive and donated them. I was so glad to know that someone would get to wear my coat and stay warm. There are so many who have less than I do. One Christmas tradition I hope my family will always have is giving to others. Sometimes I wonder why I have been given so much, while others have not. I don't have an answer for that. I don't know that anyone of this earth does. I am grateful that I am so blessed, and want to show my gratitude for my blessing by giving to others.
I am so glad that it is the Christmas season. I have seen so many people who act in the true Christmas spirit of love.
Merry Christmas! Our family hopes that your family has a wonderful Christmas season!



You are such a good person! You are always looking out for someone in need! Happy Holidays!
ReplyDeleteI LOVED you card...you get the award for number one creative...I'm seriously can you help me with my non creative disability!
ReplyDeleteSuch a cute card! I have been meaning to comment on several of your last posts...but I've been w/out a computer. Love all of your thoughts and feelings - I have the same ones. Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteLove your Christmas card! Absolutely adorable :)
ReplyDeleteLOVED the Christmas card. It made me smile. A lot. Thanks so much!
ReplyDelete