A friend in my ward said I could come and pick apples from her tree and I was ecstatic! I have been wanting to make more applesauce! Of course, Creighton loved our new "adventure".
Her property is really big, he loved exploring and helping to put apples into our laundry basket. OK-more like THROWING the apples. But a few bruises don't hurt, they are getting mashed anyway.
Creighton LOVES kitties and one just happened to wander over while we were picking apples. He is an animal lover, but especially cats. Probably because they are soft and they let him pet them. Callie is more into rough-housing than soft petting. Unfortunately for Creighton, mommy is VERY allergic to cats so we are NEVER getting one.
Saturday afternoon while canning I text my mom and said, "Why do I do this to myself?!" She replied, "Because you are crazy!" Fair enough. I deserve that. You probably do have to be a bit crazy to can. It is A LOT of work. Especially for applesauce. Cason bought me this food mill for my birthday (I DID ask for it :) because I heard it would help me make a smooth appleasuce. Well, it works fabulously, but it takes FOREVER and my arm was SO tired! And since Cason wasn't home to help turn the crank, I gave up, and used the food processor for a bit of a chunkier applesauce. Or maybe I decided to work smarter, instead of harder? Either way-applesauce is made. 7 quarts of applesauce and 3 quarts of apple juice with only half my apples. More applesauce next? Or some pie filling? We will see... The apples are the BEST! They are so sweet and flavorful I didn't add any sugar! Delicious!
To keep himself busy this weekend Creighton has been coloring. Creighton got a Halloween coloring book from his Grandma Chambers in the mail. Fun! But unfortunately he also colored on a few things that were NOT the coloring book. Besides his red eyebrow and blue lips, he got my screen door. Darn it.
I wanted to take a minute to brag. This morning I had a doctors appointment that I unexpectedly had to take Creighton to as Cason was called into work just a few minutes before I had to leave. The problem was that it was a 2.5 hour appointment. LOTS of blood work, sitting and waiting, and PLENTY of being bored. When I arrived the front desk secretary informed me how unhappy she was I had brought Creighton to the very long appointment. Well, he was not pleased that she assumed he was a naughty little boy so he busted out his best behavior yet. He was a wonderful little boy. He watched cartoons, read books, played with cars, ate cheerios and drank milk, and snuggled with mommy all VERY quietly. FOR 2.5 HOURS! I left there with a big smile on my face that my little guy had acted so great and he made me look like a FANTASTIC parent.
Ahhh... if only that was a more regular occurance. But I'll take it when I can.
A lady I work with brought in a huge box of apples and told us to help ourselves. I went home that night and made apple crisp, good stuff. I'd love to learn how to can pie filling so I can have it year-round.
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome Creighton did so well at your appt - that's a long one. Everything ok?
Way to go girl!!! I was lazy and didn't can anything this year! Next year I will have to make up for it!
ReplyDeleteThe nerve of some people! I"m sorry someone was so rude to you! It is hard enough when you have to take them when you aren't expecting to!
Way to go Creighton!! Those pictures are so cute too.
ReplyDelete