Idaho State University Dental Hygiene program will change you.
One day, while still in dental hygiene school, my friend Kylee asked one of the favorite professors, Anna Marie... "Will I ever go back to normal?" She said, "Give it about 5 years."
Well, this Saturday it will be my 5 year graduation anniversary.
I remember wanting to be a dental hygienist since my Junior year in high school.
When I would go visit my dad in Arkansas he would have long conversations with me about my future including, but not limited to: high school, ACT's, preparing for college, choosing a college, scholarships, choosing a career, a 4 year college plan, study skills, financial planning, 401 K, investments, etc.
I was a well-prepared young lady and with his help and the help of my mother I knew exactly what I needed to do to achieve my goal of becoming a dental hygienist. I was lucky enough to live in a city where one of the country's top hygiene schools was as well.
I was always confident I would get in though I heard a lot of "Wow, that is a competitive program".
I remember when I got the acceptance or declination letter in the mail I was so nervous to open it. I turned around and couldn't let any one see me open it. I immediately saw I had been accepted and began sobbing. My mom thought I had been rejected and gave me a big hug and said, "It's ok... it's ok..." I had to try and tell her through choking sobs, "No, I've been accepted!" I remember it being one of the happiest days of my life! I felt like I had worked so hard and here was proof of my dedication and that I was part-way to my end goal.
I was not prepared for ISU Dental Hygiene school. I blame my parents. I always lived in an environment where I was buoyed up and was made to feel like I could do anything. In dental hygiene school I began to feel overwhelmed and incapable of all that was required of me. I was never good enough. It really played a toll on my emotions. Hence the question posed by a hygiene bestie, "Will I ever go back to normal?"
One awesome thing about hygiene school were the wonderful people I got to associate with 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Some great friendships were made.
Look at all that white! We had to wear those white lab coats whenever we were in the clinic working on each other or seeing patients. They are just about the most unattractive lab coats.
Katie Jo and Heidi Jo (we also had a Kelly Jo and Shantell Jo)
These friends and I had some good parties. Our first Halloween together we had a mystery murder dinner and I went as Greta Garbo!
We also had the opportunity to celebrate some babies and weddings, including my own wedding! Here are some fun pictures from the joint bridal shower of Heidi, M'Lisa, and I.
The 25 of us suffered through the ISU Dental Hygiene program together. We would cry with each other when we would fail our CBE's (competency based evaluations). We would tell competing stories about how unfair the professors were to us- "Well, you wouldn't believe what she wrote on my paper!" We would be frustrated for each other when the radiograph processor destroyed all of the films from our FMX (full mouth set of xrays).
We also made it through the rough times by being silly, like writing songs such as- "I'm Not Gonna Write You a Care Plan!" (Instead of, "I'm Not Gonna Write You a Love Song")
Hooray for when graduation finally came! We decorated those ugly and much hated white lab coats for the last day of clinic.
I couldn't believe it when graduation day finally arrived.
Katie Jo Chambers, BSDH, RDH
And now I can't believe that five years has passed.
Am I back to normal? Well, not exactly. In all honesty, dental hygiene school really did do a number on me emotionally. During that time I began dealing with depression and anxiety which still occasionally I need to deal with.
But do I love being a dental hygienist? Absolutely.
I totally love my career of dental hygienist and I would not change it for anything. I never imagined I would work for this long and at some points I have had a hard time dealing with that. But I have realized it was because of who I was working for. That can make a big difference. I am so happy with my new employer which will be a 1 year anniversary in 2 months.
Being a hygienist has blessed my family more than I can ever say, so I don't think I will even try in this post. But I can give the credit to my Father in heaven for guiding me to choose this career which has blessed me personally (despite the emotional instability that has occurred) and my family.
Dental Hygiene is amazing!






















Love this post! You really were a bright spot in school Katie Jo! Just know that you lifted those around you. Awesome pictures and awesome memories:)
ReplyDeleteAnd by awesome memories, I really mean terrifyingly stressful and exhausted memories:)
ReplyDelete