"And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." 2 Nephi 5:27

"And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." 2 Nephi 5:27

Sunday, September 15, 2013

3 1/2 year old Creighton

Just a few days ago my sweet boy reached his half year mark!
 Well, only today can I call him "sweet". Why does everyone complain about the terrible twos? Maybe my memory of a year and a half ago is poor, but I am pretty sure that three years old has been much worse than 2. At the beginning of the summer I felt completely wore out with him. It just felt like constant disobedience and constant destructiveness and then throw in that we were STILL trying to potty train. Yikes! 
But at the end of July it felt like we crossed a bridge and all of the sudden his behavior reversed and we are now on the upswing of things. So today, he is sweet. 3 months ago, it would probably not be appropriate to type too many of my thoughts.
This summer besides being with Grandma and Grandpa a lot (post below) he has done some other things he loves. He has gone to two movies: Planes and Despicable Me 2. He loved both. My boy is a movie lover and sits through them very well. Though he insists he must have popcorn! 
He also went to the zoo (not as interested as I hoped he would be.) 
He has become a chef for a new brand of dog food... He likes to try to get the dogs to eat the apples that have fallen off of the tree. He asks, "Can I go outside and make the dogs some food with apples?" 
 Besides dog food he has also been making "real" food as well. He loves to help in the kitchen, but being gentle isn't a talent of his yet and frequently we get extra messy. Daddy and Creighton started shopping for Mommy's birthday several weeks ahead of time and apparently spoke of "cake" because he just can't stop talking about it and we have made several cakes since.
 He almost tried Buttermilk a few days ago! (Needed it to make his Big Momma Cake!) His palate is becoming more refined. Though if he doesn't like something he insists it tastes like soda.
He has become quite the artist and now is the proud owner of paints and likes to use them as well as decorate with stickers. Though we are still learning they only go on paper... He also would be happy to use up all stickers in a matter of minutes. Grandma Chambers sent Creighton six sheets of Thomas the Train stickers and they are being rationed.
 Creighton also loved "floating boats!" We have had several massive rainstorms (serious flooding) in the past weeks and daddy has taken Creighton outside to show him how to float boats in large puddles. Oh boy!! 
 Of course mastering a myriad of things was on his summer to-do list: forts (bigger and better), crashing things (louder and messier), and watching cartoons (memorizing theme songs and quotes). Speaking of memorizing... this momma now has the first several pages of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" memorized due to my son's serious obsession with it. 
Of course busy summers mean harder naps. And of course Creighton decided his nap time should be about 5:00 pm. Lucky me. He had many long nights.
 And playing with little sister lots was really fun. We had our occasional whacks in the head ("Sorry, Sister...) or incidents of smothering her with blankets and pillows (He was just trying to "make her cozy.") But really overall he is awesome! He is a big help for grandpa during the week and at home as well. He is happy to keep Macey Jo entertained when I need him to or assist in retrieving whatever I might need. Bath time is so fun for these two. He makes her giggle by splashing, so then he splashes more, and she giggles more, and then consequently more splashing. Of course I am a party-pooper and ruin all the fun by abolishing all water splashing.
He has also been given many nicknames this summer: poopsie (from another favorite book, "Zach's Alligator"), smoochie McQueen (he gives good smooches), porcupine-Creighton (don't remember how Daddy came up with that one), and of course whatever else we think to call him at that moment. Creighton doesn't like nicknames and says, "I am Creightion Eli!!" We have tried teaching him about his last name, but it is a concept he is still trying to grasp.
And lastly... the most exciting thing to happen to Creighton this summer (probably to our whole family...) is that he is now POTTY-TRAINED!! Yes. It is TRUE! I was sure I would never be able to say those words. He is 100% potty trained during the day and even during nap times. At night he wears pull-ups and about 50% of the time they are dry. I swear it all happened in about 2 weeks time. I have learned my lesson with child #1 (poor Creighton, the guinea pig).
I started WAY too early with him. I felt pressured by so many to start potty training him around 2 years but he just wasn't ready. I forced it so many times. We "tried" potty training more times than I have fingers for. Alas, it has finally happened. It is such a nice sound to hear him go into the bathroom, get out his stool, lift up the lid, hop on the toilet, go potty, and then go back to playing. Awesome.
HOORAY! CONGRATULATIONS CREIGHTON!!

(another post below)

No comments:

Post a Comment