For 3 weeks we have Creighton in tennis lessons. Cason played tennis in high school and loved it. We thought it would be a fun thing for Creighton to do this summer.
Should 4 year olds play tennis?
In my 1 week experience, my answer is: NO.
But it has only been 1 week... so I am trying not to dismiss tennis from our lives completely.
Lessons are difficult because of his age. Whoever thought of offering lessons to 4 year olds is crazy. I suppose I am just as crazy for not thinking beforehand how difficult it might be.
One thing tennis has made me grateful for is that I finally enrolled Creighton in a preschool just 2 weeks ago.
We haven't done preschool with Creighton yet. I felt kind of bullied into it by other moms, "Your child isn't going to preschool?!"And I thought, "What can someone else teach him that I can't?" Also, with me working, the schedule isn't ideal... But the past few months I have felt a great need for Creighton to be in preschool.
Tennis is teaching me why.
I don't know that teaching tennis to 4 year olds is wise- it is difficult and requires a lot of patience. Bless his instructor. But it has been good to help me realize that preschool is a necessary step for him this next year before Kindergarten.
There is so much he needs to learn that I can't provide him, despite the fact I am his mother and even though his home is protective and loving.
And he is so excited for his own school, 3 days a week!
Creighton is in love with tennis and looks forward to it each morning, but this momma will be so happy when it is over...
At least he makes a cute tennis player:)
ReplyDeleteWhat preschool did you sign him up with?!
Leapin' Lizards Preschool at the Leavitt Center
Delete