"And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." 2 Nephi 5:27

"And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." 2 Nephi 5:27

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Motherhood is Emotional

When I was pregnant I had terrible mood swings. It was only a GLIMPSE of how emotional I would be as a mother.
Most days I feel so happy to be a mommy and stay home (mostly full-time) with Creighton. But other days I feel so cooped up and would rather do anything than stay at home. Pushing cars around on the floor saying, "vroom-vroom"... some days doesn't seem so fun. Good thing Creighton likes to browse at TJ Maxx. Sometimes I cry when I think about how much I love him and when I ponder how special he is. Occasionally  in the middle of the night I go into his room, pick him up, snuggle him, and tell him how much I love him. Funny... when he was an infant and wouldn't sleep at 3:00 am I felt so frustrated. I never would have imagined I would CHOOSE to be up in the wee hours with him. Sometimes I am regretful because I feel like I was a mean mommy that day. I didn't play enough with Creighton, I raised my voice to him... The list of "I shouldn't have..." can get quite long. I get scared when I am not with him. I fear that something scary or upsetting might happen to him and I won't be there to comfort him. However, this is just plain silly. Creighton is delighted to be with anyone, doing anything and I'm sure most of the time doesn't mind I'm gone. I feel so loved however when I do return and he gives me his special grin and reaches his arms for me. I do feel an immense amount of pride to be his mom. When I see him accomplish something new I think, "That's MY boy!" I get scared thinking about how quickly the time has seemed to pass. I laugh as we wrestle with daddy on the living room floor and at night as I tell Cason about the events of the day. I get angry when I read in the newspaper or watch on the TV about people abusing children... and then I sometimes cry. I get defensive when people make comments such as "Well, those ears are something, aren't they?" or "He's kind of skinny... doesn't eat much, eh?" And I feel supportive of all other mothers because we are all going through the same things.
Some days I feel like a wreck-how is it possible to feel so many things? Men and woman are SO amazingly different in their capacity to feel emotions. I am grateful to be a woman, and a mother, and experience them all. Sometimes all on the same day.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh lady, who in their right mind would ever say something like that to your handsome man...people are rude! Thanks for being so real...for sure I have many emotional moments especially since my child seems to be enjoying biting me, and not so much anyone else but me...I definitely get the blues then but have to have to remind myself it's a faze and hopefully one she will grow out of! You are a great mommy and your happy man is proof of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is tricky being a momma, sometimes so rewarding and sometimes so not. But it is worth it! He is a cutie and I am sure you are a wonderful momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. I loved every single word of it. Thanks for putting into words my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete